Sunday, January 23, 2011

On the Use of Post-its

So, as a part of my multifaceted job in OUSD, when children transfer from one district to ours with an IEP (an Individualized Educational Plan - a series of documents given to a child with a disability who needs special education services...for those readers who just strayed here) I have to read the document and do my best to place the child in a classroom that will best fit their needs. I generally pour over those documents - as you can imagine - because I don't want to miss something and put the child in the wrong place.

Anyways, I was reading one the other day, and someone in our office had placed a post-it note on the front which read "child loves to learn". I thought, how lovely. How important. I was so glad that I worked with people who listened to the family members dropping off this paperwork and gleaned this information from them. People who aren't too jaded to take the time to remind me of why I am reading these reports. Smiling, I started to read.

About half way in, I got to the health report embedded in the IEP. This child - the child that loves to learn - has only one lung. One lung.

Maybe I am the jaded one. If I was going to use a post-it on this IEP - that is the information I would have written.

No comments:

Post a Comment